30 THINGS ABOUT MY INVISIBLE ILLNESS YOU MAY NOT KNOW – 30 THINGS MEME
1. The illness I live with is: Fibromyalgia, Degenerative Disc Disease, Anxiety Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression, Migraines, Asthma
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: I was diagnosed with fibro and ddd and migraines in 2011, I was diagnosed with everything else around 2000.
3. But I had symptoms since: 2005 (fibro/ddd). 1992 (everything else).
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: Learning the importance of self care.
5. Most people assume: That I’m imagining things or looking for attention or wanting to get out of doing work.
6. The hardest part about mornings are: Getting out of bed. Just physically getting out of bed. Waking up in so much pain that it hurts to breathe and I cannot actually get out of the bed without help.
7. My favorite medical TV show is: I don’t really watch any.
8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: My Kindle Fire. It’s small and light and portable and lets me comfortably read or be online.
9. The hardest part about nights are: Getting comfortable enough for long enough to fall asleep. And getting my brain to shut up long enough.
10. Each day I take __ pills & vitamins. Between seven and thirteen, depending on the day.
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: use capsaicin cream and yoga and knitting/crocheting.
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: I’m okay with what I have. It could be a lot worse. I think being ill just sucks regardless.
13. Regarding working and career: I manage to not miss much work, but I’m lucky and work in a very laidback environment where there really isn’t much physical stress. I quit working in kitchens due to pain, although at the time I didn’t know what was wrong with me. I just thought I had a bad back. I could see things progressing to the point where I might not be able to perform this job, though. And that’s scary.
14. People would be surprised to know: that the pain is usually bad enough at some point each day that I cry.
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: I have to ask for a lot of help from my husband. I have to turn down things. I have to say no a lot more.
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: Not sure yet. I’m still figuring it out. I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to play sports again.
17. The commercials about my illness: are nauseating. I’m not a fan of advertising for prescription drugs.
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: not carrying a pharmacy around with me in my purse.
19. It was really hard to have to give up: I haven’t giving anything up, just modified.
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: Walking.
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: go to a Cubs game and play Rock Band.
22. My illness has taught me: to say no. I’m still working on the not feeling guilty about it though.
23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: “My back/neck/body hurts sometimes too, but I don’t have fibromyalgia/degenerative disc disease. It’s just part of getting older.” and “If you lost some weight, you’d feel a lot better.”
24. But I love it when people: Hug me. Laugh with me.
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: All knowledge is worth having.
26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: It’s okay to be sad about it. And it won’t be as bad as you think. Your brain is really good at adapting. You will adapt.
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: How hard it is to tell people about it.
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: The Husband will put in one of my favorite movies and get me tea and just lie in bed with me and gently rub my back.
29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: it’s important.
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: awesome!
- zisforzins likes this
- cheeselover80 likes this
- everythingdolls likes this
- storyofmynerdylife likes this
- o-bloody-elle reblogged this from techsgtjenn
- andatonce-iknew likes this
- apocalypsedave likes this
- eapricott said: how bout we make Dr.Oz our cabana boy? ;)
- eapricott likes this
- thequeenofcupsexpectsapicnic likes this
- beautifulwickedn3ss likes this
- pipius likes this
- scarygodmother likes this
- geekgirlsmash reblogged this from techsgtjenn and added:
- sushigrade likes this
- fictionalized likes this
- mrdreadful likes this
- themarke said: *hug*
- alienmeatsack likes this
- techsgtjenn reblogged this from beautifulwickedn3ss and added:
- themarke likes this
- thatfriendlyblackguy likes this
- techsgtjenn likes this
- markv9 likes this
- bng101 likes this
- badassblogger likes this
- bigdogboshouse said: Always.
- bigdogboshouse likes this
- beautifulwickedn3ss posted this